HOW TO AVOID FRAUDS AND SCAMS
Some things to always remember:
- Never give out personal information - social security number or bank information
- If you are in doubt or uncomfortable, get a phone number and call the person back. If they persist, hang up.
- Never click on links sent in unsolicited emails
- Shred financial documents and paperwork with personal information before discarding them
- Request a free copy of your credit report once a year from www.annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.
- Join the National Do Not Call List at donotcall.gov You can register your home and mobile phone numbers. This won't stop all unsolicited calls, but it will stop most.
- Report phone scams to the U.S. Marshals Service.
- How to avoid fraud.