Pets of Columbia Heights 2022 City Calendar
Photo Submissions Due By Nov 1
We had such a positive response to our 2021 100th Anniversary Calendar, we decided to make a City Calendar an annual production. The City will be making a 2022 calendar, with important date reminders relevant to Columbia Heights, that features select photos of people's pets, ideally pets at City events or near City landmarks, or in some other way representative of Columbia Heights. We're looking for photos taken within the City limits in a variety of seasons. Keep in mind, we only have space for a select number of photos. We'll enlist the help of communications staff from other cities to offer an outside, non-biased eye to help narrow down the selection, though City staff will have final say. Photographers whose photos are chosen as a featured image for any one of the 12 months of the year will receive recognition in the City Newsletter and a free copy of the calendar to keep. The photo submission deadline is Nov 1, 2021. Limit of three photos per photographer. Submit one photo at a time to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos should be large enough to be displayed in full on an 8.5- by 11-inch page without quality deterioration (this requires 300 pixels-per-inch resolution). Photo sizes should be at least 2 megabytes, but no more than 13 megabytes. Full submission guidelines can be found at columbiaheightsmn.gov/photos. Historical photos also accepted. Photos from any year are accepted. The 2022 City Calendar will be available for purchase beginning Nov 23 at City Hall.Submission Guidelines and Recommendations
• Photos should be of sufficient file size to print at 11 inches across at a minimum of 300 pixels per inch. Keep in mind, no more than 15 megabytes can be sent in a single email. If you submit a photo and do not receive confirmation within a week, please call 763-706-3615.
• Horizontal photos will be prioritized over vertical photos.
• Blurry/out-of-focus photos will not be considered
• Non-digital photos may be scanned and emailed. If you do not have access to a scanner or to email, you may bring your photos to City Hall, 590 40th Avenue NE, during business hours to be scanned by staff.
• No entry fees to participate.
• Entries must be submitted by the original photographer or their guardian if they are under 18, unless the photo is historical (50 or more years old)
• Open to residents and non-residents alike
• Amateur, as well as professional photographers, are welcome to enter the contest; anyone can submit a photo, including City staff
• By submitting an entry to the contest, the submitter grants permission to the City of Columbia Heights the use of the photo(s), and rights associated to the use of the photographic likeness, in promotional materials, on the City’s website, in the City’s newsletter and other social media accounts, without compensation. Photos used for these purposes will always include proper photo credit.
• Photos can be color or black and white. Minor digital enhancement is permitted, but images that have been obviously modified or appear unnatural will likely not be considered
• Photos from previous years will also be considered
• Historical photos (50 years or older) may also be submitted (these photos would not count toward the 3-photo limit, though they should be sent in a separate email if you are also planning to send your own photos.
• Use "Pets of Columbia Heights Submission” in the subject line of your email. Within the email, include your name, as you would like it to appear in any publications of your image, name of pet, contact info, and photo title. Photo captions are also encouraged.
• If you do not receive a confirmation email within one business week after submitting your photo, please call 763-706-3615 to confirm the photo has been received.
• Special consideration given to photos taken at City events, near City landmarks, or otherwise recognizably related to Columbia Heights
• Photos from or representing a range of seasons are ideal for a calendar.
• This isn't just for dogs and cats. Have a pet chicken? turtle? fish? We welcome variety.
• Clarity, focus, composition, lighting, originality, and setting will all be considered in the selection process.