The City of Seguin is a Council/City Manager form of government. Council members are elected by the registered voters of Seguin in their respective districts and the Mayor is elected at large. The City is governed under a Single Member District form of government and divided into 8 Districts, with 1 Council Member representing each district. Each Council Member & Mayor serves a four-year term and all members are limited to no more than two consecutive terms.
Seguin City Council Members include:
Mayor Donna Dodgen (1st term November 2020 - November 2024)
District 1 – Joe Rea (1st term November 2020 - November 2024)
District 2 – Sonia Mendez (1st term November 2020 – November 2024)
District 3 – Chris Aviles (1st term November 2018 – November 2022)
District 4 – Chris Rangel (2nd term November 2020 – November 2024)
District 5 – Jeremy Roy (1st term November 2018 – November 2022)
District 6 – Monica Napier Carter (1st term November 2020 – November 2024)
District 7 – VACANT (To be filled November 2022)
District 8 – Mark Herbold (2nd term November 2018 – November 2022)
City of Seguin Elections
Persons can obtain an application for place on the municipal ballot from:
City of Seguin
205 N. River Street
Seguin, Texas 78155
Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, or you may obtain the forms from the Texas Secretary of State website and submit the application to the City Secretary’s office. The uniform election date for the City of Seguin is the first Tuesday of November, per City Charter.
Standard Eligibility Requirements for Public Office
Election Code Section 141.001(a)
- Be a United State Citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election
- Have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the disabilities
- Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory as applicable, for 6 months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot
- Candidate must satisfy any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for this office
- Deadline for filing for candidacy is subject to the State Election Code, but currently is 5:00 pm on the 78th day before Election Day.
City of Seguin Home Rule Charter Requirements
- Shall be a resident citizen of the City of Seguin
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Qualified voter of the State of Texas
- Mayor shall have been a resident citizen of the City of Seguin for a period of not less than twelve (12) months immediately prior to election day
- Council Members shall be a resident citizen of the City of Seguin and the district from which he or she is elected for a period of not less than six (6) months immediately prior to election day
A qualified voter is defined as a registered voter who meets all other requirements for voting. A registration becomes effective on the 30th day after the day the application is submitted to the registrar or on the date the applicant becomes 18 years old, whichever is later.
Election Code Section 11.001 and 11.002. A person meets the age requirement for voting on the day before his/her 18th birthday.
- 18 years of age or older on the election day
- Citizen of the United States
- Not disqualified as mentally incompetent
- Not disqualified as a convicted felon
- Resident of the state on the day of the election
- A registered voter on the day the application for ballot is due
To find out how to become a registered voter, click here.
Texas voters must show a photo ID to vote in elections in Texas. Please click here to find out more information about the Voter I.D. law.
For a list of Early Voting locations, click here.
For a list of Election Day voting locations, click here.
To find out what City Council District you live in, click here for a map of the city.
Click on the links below to view our voting locations for municipal elections:
November 8, 2022 General Election Information
Council District 3
Council District 5
Council District 7
Council District 8
Notice of Election Filing
The first day to file for the November 2022 Election is Monday, July 25, 2022.
The City of Seguin City Secretary’s office will be open for filing:
Location: 205 N. River Street, Seguin, TX 78155
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 5 PM
The last day to file for the November 2022 Election is Monday, August 22, 2022 by 5:00 PM
If you have any questions, please call the City Secretary’s office at 830-401-2468 or email firstname.lastname@example.org