Planning and Zoning



Lyndon Township

Planning and Zoning Department:

If you intend to do a construction project within Lyndon Township your first step will be to contact the Lyndon Township Zoning Administrator (ZA). The ZA will provide a preliminary review of your project and tell you what process and application forms your project will need to conform to the Lyndon Township Zoning Ordinances and Regulations. The ZA will also give you an idea of the other steps that will be needed to complete your project, whether it is submittal of an application for site plan, land division, zoning permit, planned unit development, special use permit or anything else. If you project need Planning or Engineering review once the project is applied for the necessary information is than sent to the Lyndon Township Planning or Engineering Consultant for review.

 Lyndon Township
Planning and Zoning Department
17751 N Territorial
Chelsea, MI 48118
Zoning Administrator: Scott Pacheco
Phone: 734-475-2401


Zoning Permits

Most all construction projects require approval from the ZA of a Zoning Permit under section 19.06 of the Zoning Ordinance. Some examples of project that require a Zoning Permit are additions, decks, fences, new accessory building (pole barns or garages), remodeling of an existing structure re-roofing, replacement of telecommunication equipment, swimming pools, window replacement and others.  Please see ZONING APPLICATIONS AND FORMS below for a copy of the Zoning Permit Application.

Section 19.06 H of the Zoning Ordinance also required that in the Lake Residential (LR) and Lake Conservation (LC) Districts, any application for a zoning permit that increases the footprint of a structure be accompanied by a boundary survey. The boundary survey must be prepared by a registered land surveyor showing the lot lines and the location of proposed footings shall be added to a copy of the survey and submitted to the Zoning Administrator. The surveyor will be required  certify the boundary survey, showing that all new construction and structures are set as originally proposed in the application for a zoning permit, and the owner shall deliver said certified survey to the Zoning Administrator within ten (10) days after the footing or final location of the structure is set.  Failure to comply with this section shall render the zoning permit null and void.

Please see the Zoning Permit Checklist in ZONING HANDOUTS below for a comprehensive list of the items required when applying for a Zoning Permit with Lyndon Township.

Washtenaw County Health Department (WCHP):

For all New Single Family Homes (NSFH) a well and septic permit (where sewer is not available) is required prior to approval by the Township of a Zoning Permit. All additions required WCHD approval prior to approval of a Building Permit from the Chelsea Area Construction Agency (CACA).

 Washtenaw County Environmental Health Department
707 North Zeeb Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Lyndon Contact: James Glide
Phone 734-222-3831

 Sewer Authorities:

Prior to building any structure footprint expansion including additions, accessory structures, and decks on a property with sewer approval of the appropriate sewer authority is required.


Multi-Lakes Sewer Authority                                              Sylvan Township Sewer

                                    12088 N. Territorial Road                                                         18027 Old US-12

    Dexter, MI 48130                                                               Chelsea, MI 48118

   Phone 734-426-9797                                                            Phone 734-475-8890


Washtenaw County Road Commission: Prior to approval by Lyndon Township of a Zoning Permit for a NSFH a driveway permit is required from the WCRC.

 Washtenaw County Road Commission
555 North Zeeb Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Phone 734-761-1500

 Chelsea Area Construction Agency:

Lyndon Township, along with Sylvan, Dexter, Lima, and Sharon Townships and the City of Chelsea, participate in the Chelsea Area Construction Agency (CACA). All building permits (construction, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and soil erosion) are issued through this agency, rather than Washtenaw County.

Building permits are required before starting construction for all structures regardless of use and number of acres owned. This includes such home improvements as plumbing, electrical, mechanical (heating and air conditioning), and all project that require a Zoning Permit. CACA will also perform required inspections of the work.

 Chelsea Area Construction Agency
12172 Jackson Road
Dexter, MI 48130
Phone 734-475-4420






Ordinance Officer - Permits

© 2017 Lyndon Township, MI  17751 N. Territorial Road, Chelsea, MI 48118,
TELEPHONE 734-475-2401

Powered By Revize Login